Wednesday, August 19, 2015

The Veil | Thoughts

The Veil (Devil's Isle, #1)Author: Chloe Neil
Title: The Veil (Devil’s Isle #1)
Release Date: August 4, 2015
Rating: ★ ★ ★
Pages: 336
Format: ARC
Where to find it: Amazon | Goodreads | BookDepository
Series: Devil’s Isle
Summary: Claire Connolly is a good girl with a dangerous secret: she’s a Sensitive, a human endowed with magic that seeped through the Veil. Claire knows that revealing her skills would mean being confined to Devil’s Isle. Unfortunately, hiding her power has left her untrained and unfocused.

Liam Quinn knows from experience that magic makes monsters of the weak, and he has no time for a Sensitive with no control of her own strength. But when he sees Claire using her powers to save a human under attack—in full view of the French Quarter—Liam decides to bring her to Devil’s Isle and the teacher she needs, even though getting her out of his way isn’t the same as keeping her out of his head. (goodreads)

Thoughts/Review:

I  picked up this book as an ARC copy this year at SDCC this year and I am extremely grateful I had the opportunity to pick up this book.

It’s been awhile since I have read some Paranormal and I think this was a very good book to get back into the genre. I was really intrigue with the world of this book and how it worked. The characters seemed interesting and the world seemed different that what I have been used to  reading lately.

But that is where I had a problem. I wish we had more background information about the characters and the war that happened before the events in this book. We are just given a small brief explanation from the point of view of Claire Connolly the main character in our book. Also, we are not given that much information about her life either. Just the essentials of her family and her friends. We aren’t even given information about how she had meet her friends.

We are thrown with random fact that could be potential explore in the next books in the series. Which is something that is understandable but wish there was something explore in this book and not just left to wonder. We are given too many possibilities in a way all thrown into one book instead of given them in other book in the series.

I understand that this book will be a series but it would have been interesting to get more information and even some flashbacks. One thing that I didn’t really enjoyed was how Claire immediately wanted to be with Liam after knowing him for a period of 2 to 4 days. I understood the attraction and I did like that they weren’t put together. But it would have been interesting too not see that attraction until further books.

One thing that I did really enjoyed was the friendship between Claire and her friends. It felt that they had each other backs at the beginning of the book and in the end of the book also. Although I wish we had more information on them also. I felt like the books was a little too short for a paranormal book and wish there was more information on a lot of areas. I am use to reading a paranormal book to be more than 450 pages.

I am intrigue to see how the author will continue this story and I am thinking of picking up the next book in the series to see where these characters end up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Welcome to my little corner of the internet. My name is Melody located in Southern California. I hope that you enjoy my thoughts on things I love. Hopefully I can introduce you to new books, movies, comics, and shows. Thank you for dropping by.

Currently Reading

Melody's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Living Dead
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Popular Posts

Text Widget

.
Powered by Blogger.

Get In Touch

.