Monday, June 22, 2015

Spider-Gwen | Comic Book Recommendation #1


*Disclaimer: I am in no means an expert in comic books. These are all my opinions, I am trying to share my love for comics with everyone and hoping I can get people interested into some comics. If information is taken from a source I will leave a link to the original post at the end of the entry.

Image Design by Robbi Rodriguez
Spider-Gwen is part of the Marvel Universe Earth-65 world.

In this alternative reality we find out what would have happened if Gwen Stacy would have been bitten by the radioactive spider instead of Peter Parker. Although the comic book is name “Spider-Gwen” she is refer as “Spider-Woman” in the comic.

We are first introduced to Spider-Gwen character in Edge of Spider-verse #2 where various alternative spider-men/woman were given an one-shot story arc which lead to a major Spider-verse arc. In this arc every single spider-man/woman in alternative reality unite together to stop a villainous family who is killing them one by one.

Spider-Gwen became so popular that was given the chance to become it’s own series. It’s insane how much popularity the character has gotten. Where the point of the first issue variant (a variant cover mean an alternative cover of the original comic, which only a few of them are printed) covers go up to $350. Which I think it’s crazy.

Here are examples of variant covers: (which I think some of them are gorgeous but wouldn’t buy at all. Only if they are original prince or below $20 if I REALLY wanted it)

spider-gwen-1.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg
*The first one is a variant for the second issue and the next three are variants for the first issue and there are so many more for the first issue alone. At marvel.wikia.com you can see more covers.

At this moment there is 5 issues out of her own story line. Her characters fate is unknown at the moments because of the current event happening in the Marvel Comic book world (Battleworld/Secret Wars). We will not know if she will continue in her own series or a team-up series.

Creative team behind Spider-Gwen:
Writer: Jason Latour
Artist: Robbi Rodriguez
Colorist: Rico Renzi

First costumed appearance: Hawkeye Vs Deadpool #0
First appearance: Edge of Spider-Verse #2
First solo comic: Spider-Gwen #1 (2015)

Thoughts:
Artist jonn-lock.tumblr.com
Edge of Spider-Verse #2 was the issue that brought me back into buying comics. It was my gateway into a world that I had long forgotten. When I first found out that Gwen Stacy was going to be Spider-Woman I was completely excited. I have always love the ideas of “What if?” scenarios and this one was something that instantly threw my attention and I was not disappointed. Once I started reading it I loved the art style and was intrigued with the story line. Plus Gwen Stacy is in a rock band.

I really don’t want to give out a lot of the story line. It’s better to go into it yourself and see and judge by yourself. You may like it. It doesn’t hurt to give it a chance. One think that I do love about Spider-Gwen is how many new people it has brought into the comic book world. It has made so many people get interested of the world and people to create different amazing things. 

Although I do love the series. I do have issues with some of the comics. I do feel like it's a little inconsistent and wish it would have more time to developed the characters in the world. That is one thing I do dislike about the current crossover event in Marvel Comics. We won't know if some comic book characters will continue to have their own series until September most likely. We will have to wait and see.

Reading Order:
These are recommended reading order:

Edge of Spider-Verse #2 | Spider-Gwen #1 | Spider-Gwen #2 | Spider-Gwen #3 | Spider-Gwen #4 | Spider-Gwen #5

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140324215429/marveldatabase/images/a/a6/Spider-Verse_003.jpg
Marvel Comics
If you would like to read more into her story line and read every single comic book she comes out here is the order by appearance:


Edge of Spider-Verse #2 | Amazing Spider-Man #9 | Spider-Verse Team-Up #1 | Spider-Verse Vol 1 #1 | Amazing Spider-Man #10 | Spider-Woman #1 | Amazing Spider-Man #11 | Spider-Verse Team-Up #2 | Amazing Spider-Man #12 | Amazing Spider-Man #13 | Amazing Spider-Man #14 | Spider-Woman #4 | Amazing Spider-Man #15 | Spider-Gwen #1 | Spider-Gwen #2 | Spider-Gwen #3 | Spider-Gwen #4 | Spider-Gwen #5 | Spider-Verse Vol 2 #1 | Spider-Verse Vol 2 #2

If you would like to read the entire Spider-Verse event (Every single spider-man working together to stop a common enemy) here is a guide that will help you out at Howtolovecomics.com.

Note: In some issues it states a vol (volume) number. That doesn’t indicate the trade number. It indicates the number of the series. For example, Saga it’s on it’s Volume 1 run. If it would stop and another creative team would take over then it would be Volume 2.

Places you could buy comics online - midtowncomics.com

Do you guys have any comic book recommendations? Are you guys planning on checking it out? Would you guys like more of these?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Welcome to my little corner of the internet. My name is Melody located in Southern California. I hope that you enjoy my thoughts on things I love. Hopefully I can introduce you to new books, movies, comics, and shows. Thank you for dropping by.

Currently Reading

Melody's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Living Dead
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Popular Posts

Text Widget

.
Powered by Blogger.

Get In Touch

.