Thursday, February 12, 2015

Book Thoughts | The Martian


The MartianThe Martian by Andy Weir
Genre: Scifi
Release Date: February 11, 2014 (self publish 2011)
Rating:five-stars
Summary: Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first men to walk on the surface of Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first man to die there.
It started with the dust storm that holed his suit and nearly killed him, and that forced his crew to leave him behind, sure he was already dead. Now he's stranded millions of miles from the nearest human being, with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his food would be gone years before a rescue mission could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to get him first.
But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. But will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him? (goodreads)


This is just such a unique story line. Different than what I am use to reading. The story is a survivor story. What one must do to survive in a whole different environment and use their knowledge to do so. Being smart is not so bad when you are trap by yourself in a planet years away from Earth.

Immediately I was drawn into the story line. I loved how it just jump into the story. Not making the reader wait to know a detail account of how it all went wrong.

I really liked how the novel description explained the procedures in a simplest way. Usually when a book over describe it's surroundings it ruins the book for me and I end up loosing interest. However, this did the complete opposite. As a reader I was invested in every single step Mark Watney our main charachter took. It feels like I was watching the little engine that could and was cheering him on in the side line. 

Every page I was routing for Watney survivable and hoping all went well. When something went wrong I was on the edge of my seat reading what he will come up with to solve the problem. 

I really love Watney character  a  lot. His sense of humor in his situation was amazing. It lightens the mood of the book forgetting the horrible situation he was in. It was also amazing how we read so many people working together to get him back home. I recommend this book to everyone. I am happy that I picked it up.

Favorite quote: 
"That makes me a pirate, a space pirate." 
~ Mark Watney

This line made me laugh so much. Any time I think of space ships and space I think about Firefly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Welcome to my little corner of the internet. My name is Melody located in Southern California. I hope that you enjoy my thoughts on things I love. Hopefully I can introduce you to new books, movies, comics, and shows. Thank you for dropping by.

Currently Reading

Melody's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Living Dead
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Popular Posts

Text Widget

.
Powered by Blogger.

Get In Touch

.